write. type.
HOME + ARCHIVES + PHOTOS+ ABOUT + FRIENDS+ EMAIL+ BOOJWA
Apprendre de Moi

name: Alicia
age: 24
screenname: cryztalina, since 8th grade and going strong
email: randomlifeinprogress@hotmail.com
Momentary Obsessions

book: LOTR - JRR Tolkien
song: "Isala Iciibi" - John Chiti
quote: "Bufi!"
mood: Content
Go immediately

Essential Chicago news source, the Chicagoist
Chris rules the comics world
Chicago Public Radio is produced by gods
Read every day
All u c
All gapers, report to this site
Mimi Smartypants rocks my socks (off)
Rachelle B kicks ass
So does Erin Shea
The Chronic
Gone but not forgotten: Red Line Radio
Wherever the whim takes me, it takes you

Ferdy on films
Funniest Ever
Second funniest ever, from my future city
Everyone feels better after they listen to "The Entertainer"
Why I love Belmont and Clark
One of my favorite songs. You only wish I was joking.
Why the Internet is the worst sometimes
People Who Should Come To The Manor More Often

Rock Star Quality
design (c) maystar designs
Blogtown, USA
Count your own damn life
image (c) maystar designs
Your Voice Provided by
Sunday, April 13, 2008

[ey-ey mukwaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiii]

Greetings all, from Zambia! I'm in Lusaka right now and don't have much time on the ridiculously slow and somewhat expensive Internets, but I thought I'd drop a line. I am having a ball and miss everyone a lot! So a little about what I'm doing ... I'm studying iciBemba (look it up!) and will be the BOMA (look it up!) volunteer for Serenje district in Central province. Right now I'm looking forward to finishing up with training and swearing in on April 25th so we can get this party started.

As for Zambia in general, it's insanely gorgeous and the people are absurdly kind. I attribute the latter to the fact that aside from a brief and minor struggle for independence in the 60s, most of the population has never seen war. Either way, they are warm and open-hearted in general, and I feel so completely at ease here that I can't imagine life without this experience now. As for the landscape, it's like living in a dream. The friends that I've made here and I agree that the sky is bigger here, and that the pictures we've taken simply don't do the land justice. I don't even think with all the vocabulary in the world I could describe it's richness appropriately, but suffice to say that I am going to be living in an area with so many hills that I call them mountains.

On top of all of this, I feel more like myself here than I have in at least a year. I have made a ton of new friends but I still miss the old and think about all of you often. I am more sure about myself and my goals than ever, but even more than that I am sure of how blessed I am and have been, and how lucky I am to have all of the friends I do. I miss you all daily and you are in my thoughts! When you think of me, don't worry - imagine me having a brilliant time and all smiles, and you'll be spot on.

If you know me well, please e-mail me or message me on Myspace when you can; also, please write if you feel up to it! I have a new address I can give to you if you contact me.

Oh, yeah, and I dropped my iPod down the pit latrine. Those of you who know me well should be laughing hysterically at this point.

[Goofball Central has set up shop in Serenje, Zambia]

Comments: Post a Comment