write. type.
HOME + ARCHIVES + PHOTOS+ ABOUT + FRIENDS+ EMAIL+ BOOJWA
Apprendre de Moi

name: Alicia
age: 24
screenname: cryztalina, since 8th grade and going strong
email: randomlifeinprogress@hotmail.com
Momentary Obsessions

book: LOTR - JRR Tolkien
song: "Isala Iciibi" - John Chiti
quote: "Bufi!"
mood: Content
Go immediately

Essential Chicago news source, the Chicagoist
Chris rules the comics world
Chicago Public Radio is produced by gods
Read every day
All u c
All gapers, report to this site
Mimi Smartypants rocks my socks (off)
Rachelle B kicks ass
So does Erin Shea
The Chronic
Gone but not forgotten: Red Line Radio
Wherever the whim takes me, it takes you

Ferdy on films
Funniest Ever
Second funniest ever, from my future city
Everyone feels better after they listen to "The Entertainer"
Why I love Belmont and Clark
One of my favorite songs. You only wish I was joking.
Why the Internet is the worst sometimes
People Who Should Come To The Manor More Often

Rock Star Quality
design (c) maystar designs
Blogtown, USA
Count your own damn life
image (c) maystar designs
Your Voice Provided by
Monday, November 12, 2007

[It's gonna take a lot to drag me away from you]

You may have noticed the addition of what may seem like a totally inaccurate clock on the left. While it may be wrong for Chitown, it is actually my new time: Zambia time!

That's right - I'm going to Zambia with the Peace Corps! I found out awhile ago, but have decided to keep it a secret from this blog, since it has become Murder Alley of late. I've been lurking around the Internet for the past few weeks though, trolling other Peace Corps blogs, when I came across a couple of people that are actually going to be in my training class! Reading their blogs got me excited again about mine, and I couldn't keep a lid on it anymore. If I'm going to be dealing with (the prospect and probability of) dysentery, malaria and a hole as a toilet, I think I can deal with the Internet's version of Jack the Ripper skulking about my corner of the web.

So, obviously, I'm excited. Getting ready to deal with the details of actually shedding my First World life and diving into a totally new world is both exciting and terrifying. Mainly I'm excited about the work I'll be doing as a community education developer, and mainly I'm terrified about Becoming A Grown-Up. Just filling out paperwork for my visas and new passport has been a challenge - the kind of challenge that is totally ridiculous. Have you ever met someone who is really slow to understand something that everyone else around him just gets? Like, they just don't get how to not burn toast, or something. Einstein stopped telling his colleagues about the theory of relativity because they didn't get it and it frustrated him. Don't invite trouble by trying to explain to me the simplicity of doing taxes, making doctor's appointments and all other Grown-Up Activities. I will not understand. Incidentally, I will also not understand when you try to teach me how to tie my shoes without using the bunny ears method, but I digress.

Like I said, I will probably start to wander back here now and then, and hopefully won't stay away so long. I will also be adding a PC disclaimer soon, because now that I've revealed my true identity as a soon-to-be government employee I have to remind you that my kooky thoughts and bonkers feelings do not, in fact, reflect on the Peace Corps. More later (hopefully), when I can spare a moment from daydreaming about Africa.

[There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do]

Comments: Post a Comment