write. type.
HOME + ARCHIVES + PHOTOS+ ABOUT + FRIENDS+ EMAIL+ BOOJWA
Apprendre de Moi

name: Alicia
age: 24
screenname: cryztalina, since 8th grade and going strong
email: randomlifeinprogress@hotmail.com
Momentary Obsessions

book: LOTR - JRR Tolkien
song: "Isala Iciibi" - John Chiti
quote: "Bufi!"
mood: Content
Go immediately

Essential Chicago news source, the Chicagoist
Chris rules the comics world
Chicago Public Radio is produced by gods
Read every day
All u c
All gapers, report to this site
Mimi Smartypants rocks my socks (off)
Rachelle B kicks ass
So does Erin Shea
The Chronic
Gone but not forgotten: Red Line Radio
Wherever the whim takes me, it takes you

Ferdy on films
Funniest Ever
Second funniest ever, from my future city
Everyone feels better after they listen to "The Entertainer"
Why I love Belmont and Clark
One of my favorite songs. You only wish I was joking.
Why the Internet is the worst sometimes
People Who Should Come To The Manor More Often

Rock Star Quality
design (c) maystar designs
Blogtown, USA
Count your own damn life
image (c) maystar designs
Your Voice Provided by
Friday, January 13, 2006

[Barf-o-rama, 2006]

Hey, remember the time that the New York Times was awash in scandal? Like, good old Jayson Blair, who should've been seen as an obvious fraud when he said there was a 'y' in his name for absolutely no reason. Or the wonderful master of creative "non-fiction," Mr. Rick Bragg, who had us all convinced he grew up in Alabama walking to school uphill both ways, when really he just touched down in a plane there during his childhood. Then, of course, there's my personal favorite, Judith Miller, whose On the Media interview with Bob Garfield is the best laugh I've had in a loooonng time. So there they are, chillin' in their rows of cubicles, and they get the call from Chicago - "Hark! 'Scandal Is Loosening Daley's Grip on Chicago'!"

Well, I have a few teeeeeny, tiny problems with this. The first, but not least, is the old adage, "Don't throw bricks if you live in a glass house" or whatever you might see embroidered on a pillow to that effect. Now, I'm all for investigative journalism, don't get me wrong, but it's so hard to take a publication seriously when it is rife with scandal itself. I still read the Times and I still find it interesting and, for the moment, an essential newssource. But that distinction is slipping, fast.

Second of all, I have a hefty amount of skepticism with regards to the author of the piece, New York Times Chicago bureau chief Jodi Wilgoren (Please see below: Thursday, May 20 2004).

Third, and perhaps the most fundamental problem, the story has been done to death. I hardly believe that people in the country/world have absolutely no idea about scandal rocking Chicago's city hall, and, besides, a lot of places in the country get Chicago newspapers. Plus there's the plain old regular news. The story has been beat to a bloody pulp, and, what, the Times just couldn't resist getting a thumb in the pie? Lame.

And finally, the story isn't really all that great. It's lofty and quasi-historical, and it bites off more than it can chew. Sort of like this blog. And maybe the previous one.

If I haven't adequately explained my position, or if you disagree, too f-ing bad. There's no Blogger Umbudsman. Aw, come off it, I'm kidding. I would love to talk more about this, but I'm afraid I can't tolerate much more of my whining.

[Just another misguided dose of youthful idealism]

Comments: Post a Comment