write. type.
HOME + ARCHIVES + PHOTOS+ ABOUT + FRIENDS+ EMAIL+ BOOJWA
Apprendre de Moi

name: Alicia
age: 24
screenname: cryztalina, since 8th grade and going strong
email: randomlifeinprogress@hotmail.com
Momentary Obsessions

book: LOTR - JRR Tolkien
song: "Isala Iciibi" - John Chiti
quote: "Bufi!"
mood: Content
Go immediately

Essential Chicago news source, the Chicagoist
Chris rules the comics world
Chicago Public Radio is produced by gods
Read every day
All u c
All gapers, report to this site
Mimi Smartypants rocks my socks (off)
Rachelle B kicks ass
So does Erin Shea
The Chronic
Gone but not forgotten: Red Line Radio
Wherever the whim takes me, it takes you

Ferdy on films
Funniest Ever
Second funniest ever, from my future city
Everyone feels better after they listen to "The Entertainer"
Why I love Belmont and Clark
One of my favorite songs. You only wish I was joking.
Why the Internet is the worst sometimes
People Who Should Come To The Manor More Often

Rock Star Quality
design (c) maystar designs
Blogtown, USA
Count your own damn life
image (c) maystar designs
Your Voice Provided by
Monday, November 21, 2005

[Text message conversation between Chris and I:
Chris: If you think about it it doesn't really make sense that people ride horses
Me: If you think about it daylight savings time is a mindfuck]

I'd just like to share a little of my newfound knowledge (wrinkles in the brain) to all you crazy cats out there. In my history class as we study the Industrial Revolution my teacher points out that before trains and factories no on really had any idea about the concept of "time." Sure, there was sun-up, when the cows/children awoke, and there was sun-down, when you had to stop working for they day. In certain northern European countries (real far north) there was even a concept of "pissing while," meaning you simply were done with work after a certain amount of times of going to the bathroom. There were clocks, like water clocks, candles with markings for the hours and sundials, but none of these were accurate to the degree we demand today.

However, during the Industrial Revolution the rise of factories in Europe made it impossible to keep on with these methods. People were just showing up and leaving when they wanted. Then there was the steam engine, which allowed for the development of the locomotive...pretty crazy shit really, back then no one went faster than a horse, but all of a sudden they could go by train to places all over Europe. So it also became important to have some kind of schedule, so that you knew when you were leaving and arriving in other countries, and not letting off a million passengers in the dead of night, or what-have-you. They smelled bad also, but I digress.

So I personally just think that all seems pretty bizarre as it is, but if you add in the concept of daylight savings time its fucking nutter-butter.

A poll done by the U.S. Department of Transportation indicated that Americans liked Daylight Saving Time because "there is more light in the evenings / can do more in the evenings."

That's f-ing crazy, dude! Seriously! There's more light in the evenings? What? Back in the day they just woke up when the animals or their internal clock did and went to bed when they were done. It's so weird to really think about how we have to manipulate our made up system of time just to "do more in the evenings." It's got all this stuff to do with capitalism and puritanism and Calvinism and all that rubbish that we think doesn't affect us to this day, but I found someone who could say it better for me:

"I don't really care how time is reckoned so long as there is some agreement about it, but I object to being told that I am saving daylight when my reason tells me that I am doing nothing of the kind. I even object to the implication that I am wasting something valuable if I stay in bed after the sun has risen. As an admirer of moonlight I resent the bossy insistence of those who want to reduce my time for enjoying it. At the back of the Daylight Saving scheme I detect the bony, blue-fingered hand of Puritanism, eager to push people into bed earlier, and get them up earlier, to make them healthy, wealthy and wise in spite of themselves." (Robertson Davies, The Diary of Samuel Marchbanks, 1947)

Just puttin it out there.

[really I just like to say 'mindfuck']

Comments: Post a Comment