write. type.
HOME + ARCHIVES + PHOTOS+ ABOUT + FRIENDS+ EMAIL+ BOOJWA
Apprendre de Moi

name: Alicia
age: 24
screenname: cryztalina, since 8th grade and going strong
email: randomlifeinprogress@hotmail.com
Momentary Obsessions

book: LOTR - JRR Tolkien
song: "Isala Iciibi" - John Chiti
quote: "Bufi!"
mood: Content
Go immediately

Essential Chicago news source, the Chicagoist
Chris rules the comics world
Chicago Public Radio is produced by gods
Read every day
All u c
All gapers, report to this site
Mimi Smartypants rocks my socks (off)
Rachelle B kicks ass
So does Erin Shea
The Chronic
Gone but not forgotten: Red Line Radio
Wherever the whim takes me, it takes you

Ferdy on films
Funniest Ever
Second funniest ever, from my future city
Everyone feels better after they listen to "The Entertainer"
Why I love Belmont and Clark
One of my favorite songs. You only wish I was joking.
Why the Internet is the worst sometimes
People Who Should Come To The Manor More Often

Rock Star Quality
design (c) maystar designs
Blogtown, USA
Count your own damn life
image (c) maystar designs
Your Voice Provided by
Monday, January 05, 2004

"I'm close to spectacular, and fantastically well"

Coming back to Chicago after being in Michigan is always one of the most liberating experiences. I enjoy my time at my mom's, always, and this holiday break was no different. It was about a week and a half of friends I don't get to see enough, laughing with my family (for instance: my mom holding "the baby jesus"), rest, driving a car, grandma and grandpa... on and on. However, I know things are changing. I certainly am, but my life is, in fact, visibly changing. This is best illustrated when I call Chicago home without realizing it.

But it's mostly good to be home because it's like a time-out. A suspension of reality that makes me appreciate it all that much more when I get back. This break I realized something about myself by what I missed most about Chicago. I missed the dancing. And so I come to my point, only about a paragraph too late. So I'll start a new one.

I've learned to dance.

There I go. Dancing. That's beautiful, simply. I never really danced as much as this past fall. We go out to parties and we don't waste that time anymore. We don't just sit there. We don't just stand there. We dance. Dress up.

Moving the legs to connect with the ground. Hands to touch the air. Shaking hips, shrugging shoulders. Touching other legs, slipping arms around waists, sexual electric energy, young, smiling, sticky sweet sweat, open facial expressions, important.

And that's what I guess I've learned the most about it. It's important, extremely, to dance. It's important to wake up and be sore in the stomach, the groin, the thighs, the triceps, face hurting from smiling. Going out and dancing teaches me about music, about the other people in the room, about all these tiny muscles in my body that make me so alive. These things are probably the most important thing, the most important metaphor for college here, or youth, or life, or whatever that I learned this past fall. And I'm so glad.

"Open your eyes, spectacular's right in front of you"

Comments: Post a Comment